Unified Theories, Fantasy & Cosmic Order
|UNIFIED THEORIES, FANTASY & COSMIC ORDER
Published in the ANPA (philosophy of physics) proceedings held August 2008 at Cambridge UK
The Cosmic Order as a New Methodology:
This interpretation of atoms and space-time is not another arbitrary metaphysical construction in language that is
contrived independently of the empirical evidence after the fact. It is necessarily demanded by the structural
dynamics of System 3 as it relates directly to the evidence. The System of representing the cosmic order is
structurally required as a subsumed elaboration of System 1. The requirements are implicit in the nature of
Universal Wholeness. If there is such a thing as universal wholeness it is a priori to the practice of science, not a
posteriori. Humans do not invent it. The System is both ontologically and epistemologically consistent because it
offers direct intuitive insight into the structural dynamics of the cosmic order and it can find direct confirmation in
phenomenal experience in either the public or private domain or both.
Since it does not divorce the practice of physics from the interpretation of physics, it can provide specific direction
to the physical sciences as well as to the biological sciences. The biological sciences are elaborated upon by
Systems 4 and higher. Specific intuitive insight into the cosmic order as it relates to any circumstance can
specifically lead research efforts with greater precision and breadth of application. It is a new methodology that
can expand the horizons of science in more positive ways. It is a methodology that has universally consistent
application. Otherwise we are forever left to the vagaries of any number of contrived metaphysical interpretations
that are mutually exclusive, of limited value, and divorced from the practice of science.
Universals and Particulars:
The particular center in System 2 is also monolithic since it designates only one particular kind of being.
Objective phenomena in the natural world that share a common outside are not all the same. We see an
unlimited variety of things although nothing in phenomenal experience is completely unique. Everything is one
particular thing of a universal kind of which there are many.
The rift in universal wholeness thus also requires that particular things must correspond to hierarchically
organized universals of particular kinds. There are universal archetypes of plants, invertebrates, and
vertebrates, each with hierarchically subsumed archetypes such as class, order, family, genus and species.
Particular things quantitatively define their physical existence in relation to their universal qualities. For example
we may say Rover is a dog. He is quantitatively defined as one member of an archetypal kind known as the dog
species. A daisy is a flower. Bill is a human. The Earth is a planet. The sun is a star. That is the way we normally
In a Platonic sense this means that there are universal archetypal forms that transcend physical existence. In an
Aristotelian sense these universals are confined within the particular manifestations of them. Both views are
correct. Every particular thing is clothed in atoms and molecules that take a specific form consistent with a
universal archetype. This is true even of things that we create. There are many makes and models of TV sets
but they are all consistent with the archetypal plan of how all TV sets work. The archetypal plan is still something
distinct from a particular TV set and yet the plan is clearly evident within it.
The Universal Center Option and a Rift in Wholeness:
In the second option everything shares a common inside or center. This leads to a very different interpretation of
how phenomenal experience is structured to function. If there is such a thing as universal wholeness it must admit
of separate phenomena in experience. It must admit of both a subjective and an objective aspect to all
experience. Every thing must have both an inside and an outside. And both the inside and outside must be
universally shared. (See the diagram of System 1.)
Notes and References:
- Dedekind, R., Essays on the Theory of Numbers, (Dover Publications, New York, 1963)
- Chaboyer, Demarque, Kernan, Krauss, A Lower Limit on the Age of the Universe, Science, 271, 957,1996; Sidney van den
Bergh, Ages of the Oldest Clusters and the age of the Universe, Science, 270, 1943, 1995; Bolte and Hogan, Nature, 376, 539,
- “Action-at-a-distance” as used here in a general sense is not intended to mean that there are causal influences transmitted
through a spacetime continuum faster than light. In a discontinuous universe there is no continuum.
- See Sperry R. W., Hemisphere Deconnection and Unity in Conscious Awareness, Amer. Psychol., 1969.
- See 6 below.
- See Arthur Koestler, The Ghost in the Machine, (London, Pan Books 1979) He popularized the pioneering research of Dr. P. D.
MacLean on the Limbic System and its role in emotion. The new brain to which we owe our intellectual capacity has no direct
biological controls over our Limbic emotional brain. Also see MacLean P. D., Contrasting Functions of Limbic and Neocortical
Systems of the Brain and their Relevance to Psychophysiological Aspects of Medicine, Amer. J. Med., 25, 611-626, 1958.
Papez, J. W., A Proposed Mechanism of Emotion, Arch. Neurol. & Psychiat., 38, 725,1937.
- There are several articles on the human nervous system on the website that demonstrate how the human nervous system is
structured to function synapse by synapse.
- These transient resonances can nevertheless exhibit patterns suggestive of the higher Systems. See Chapter 5, endnote 12,
Campbell, R. C. , Science & Cosmic Order: A New Prospectus, MindReach Library, 1997
- Otherwise we are forced back to an implicit belief that space and time are a priori things in themselves.
- This is not intended to mean that Universal Wholeness can only manifest as an active Universal Center. It can manifest in a
variety of ways to a particular being with either active or passive cosmic characteristics as it wills. Or it can not manifest at all.
An unlimited repertoire is available to it via the higher systems employing the medium of the Void. The Void is the boundless
quantum field that is timelessly generated by Systems 3 and higher. Since System 2 transcends and subsumes the higher
systems these phenomena in the private domain are possible. This work comes directly from a highly unusual series of
cosmic insights the first of which is described in a website article. But one should not just take my word for it. The System
resonates with human intuition. Anyone can see for themselves.
- One can deny this possibility if they wish, but the denial can only be a blind belief, not a personal realization in phenomenal
- Logical paradoxes may arise by not taking hierarchies into account. In Russell’s well known paradox “The Contradiction”
arises when classes are treated on a par with their members. Russell, B., The Principles of Mathematics, 2nd edition, London
- See Chapter V, Science and Cosmic Order: A New Prospectus, ibid.
- The quantum energy equivalent of a moving particle is represented by the complex conjugate of the wave function in the
Shroedinger wave equation.
- The Void is not synonymous with what is called the “vacuum” in traditional physics. The Void is a highly structured and
integrated quantum energy field that mirrors physical creation and spans space and time. It integrates history. It is orthogonal
to the integrated fabric of space-time.
- There are general similarities to the Bohm interpretation and to some of his writing, such as Wholeness and the Implicate
Order, (Routledge & Keegan Paul, London, 1980). The System might be said to be a specific exposition of the implicate order.
My work began in the mid 1960’s from original insights that came as a result of an intensive quest into organization structure
as a result of political conflict when I was in a key management position during a company takeover. The insights explicitly
demonstrated how the cosmic order works with respect to the physical and biological sciences.
- The primary interval of time relates to the fact that the angular momentum of the electron in the first hydrogen orbit is zero. See
Science and Cosmic Order: A New Prospectus, ibid.
- See the website article “Gravity and Historic Coordinates” at www.cosmic-mindreach.com .
- Louis de Broglie describes his derivation emphasizing his guiding intuition of a “little clock in motion” in Wave Mechanics: The
First Fifty Years, Butterworths, London, 1974. Comments on his derivation that relate it to System 3 are given in my website
article “Atoms and Space-Time”. There is more on this in Science and Cosmic Order: A New Prospectus, ibid. Quantum
correlation is related as outlined in a website article.
- Bart Bok published a summary, The Milky Way Galaxy, Scientific American, March 1981.
- The infrared satellite IRAS discovered thousands of starburst galaxies with star formation rates up to hundreds of times
greater than in more quiescent galaxies and sustained for tens of millions of years. Some starbursts are capable of
reproducing their entire stellar population in less than a billion years if sustained. Our Milky Way galaxy is thought to
experience starburst episodes every few hundred million years.
- Chapter V, Science & Cosmic order: A New Prospectus, ibid.
- Verschuur, G. L., High Galactic Lattitude Interstellar Neutral Hydrogen Structure and Associated (WMAP) High Frequency
Continuum Emission, Astrophysical Journal, Dec. 10, 1997.
- Flam, F., The Space Telescope Spies on Ancient Galaxy Menageries, reporting in Science, 266, 1806, 1994.
- James Glanz, Galactic Building Blocks Found?, reporting in Science, 271, 756, 1996.
- Reported in the January 1996 issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters.
- Chapter 5, Science and Cosmic Order: A New Prospectus, ibid.
- Chapter 5, Science and Cosmic Order: A New Prospectus, ibid.
- The Pan Spermia Theory was first proposed by the 1903 Nobel Laureate Svante Arrhenius in his 1907 book Worlds in the
Making. It was taken up by Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe in their book Evolution From Space, Dent & Sons,
London, 1981. They showed that bacterial and yeast spores can survive the rigors of interstellar space indefinitely. They can
be carried into the inner solar system by comets and are small enough to ride on the radiation pressure of starlight. If they
enter the atmosphere at the right angle they can have a soft landing on planets like the Earth. The interstellar gene pool can be
replenished by ejecta from comet impacts during the early life of planets and also by diffusion processes.
- Campbell R., Downsizing Darwin, Mindreach Library, 1996.
- For more on this see Campbell R., Fisherman’s Guide to the Cosmic Order, MindReach Library, 1999.
- This is sketched in brief in the website articles Atoms and Space-Time; Gravity, Quantum Relativity & System 3, and The
Cosmic Quantum Mind. The website articles on The System briefly outline the structural dynamics of the Cosmic Order up to
System 4. The articles on the nervous system show how the Term transformations of System 4 correspond precisely to the
structure and function of the human nervous system synapse by synapse.